Thursday, September 20, 2007

Standing the right way for the Job.

I've been interviewed a few time for various things, one was a job, two were for college application, and once to get into my a cappella group. I have also been the one interviewing, once a semester since my freshmen year, and this has prepared me more then anything for interviews I'll have in the future. Forgetting music talent entirely the guys my a cappella group looks for are self motivated alpha males. Because every member of the group is this. If we were to take another sort of personality, we would destroy them. The hard part is picking out their personality in two only 7 minute auditions. And time and time again I find myself figuring out how they are by the way they stand.
You can tell by the stance, the way the hold their hands, the way the move when responding to a question, what kind of person they are. How they handle challenges, how they handle stress. My favorite thing to do is be hitting them with a line of serious questions, and then out of no where throw an off the wall funny one, like "what's your favorite ninja turtle and why?" Watching the physical reaction to that question is usually humorous, and at the same time very telling of what kind of person they are. So like the article said, your body language is very important, and its important that it matches what you say and what you look like. Being a interviewer has driven in that fact into me.

No comments: